This dish is especially useful for those days when you don’t want to spend too long cooking and can use up frozen stuff, which is a blessing during Ramadan when you'd rather spend time in worship. This goes great with a cooling cucumber raitha and a non-vegetarian tikka :-)
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan and add the ghee. When melted, add the jeera. Once it splutters, add the bay leaf, torn into two.
- Add the onions and fry till they are nice and brown.
- Add the garlic and fry till the raw smell disappears. Add the veggies, turmeric, garam masala and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the rice and fry for 2 minutes. Then add the water and salt to taste.
- Squeeze the lime juice into the water. Bring up the heat and then turn it down once the water begins to boil. Cover and cook till all the water has been absorbed, stirring once or twice in between. Turn off the heat and let it rest for 10 minutes before serving.